Can You Get Sick From Eating Moldy Bread?

Can You Get Sick From Eating Moldy Bread?
5/5 - (2 votes)

Nothing like desiring a piece of toast only to discover that your loaf of bread has some weird fuzzy areas. But, can moldy bread make you ill, and if so, what are the probable symptoms of moldy bread consumption?

Here’s everything you need to know about whether moldy bread will make you sick, including if you may get food poisoning from old bread.

Can You Get Sick From Eating Moldy Bread?

The quick answer is that eating bread with mold on it may make you sick.

However, according to the Cleveland Clinic, if you eat a piece of moldy bread by mistake, you should be OK. This is due to the fact that many varieties of mold aren’t toxic — just keep an eye out for any unexpected symptoms for the remainder of the day.

But it doesn’t mean mold is beneficial for you or that it’s safe to consume. According to the Cleveland Clinic, certain varieties of mold that develop on food may be deadly. According to Michigan State University, some molds might cause allergic reactions or respiratory issues in certain individuals.

Furthermore, according to Michigan State University, bread mold may sometimes develop fungal poisons known as mycotoxins, which can cause illness. According to the Cleveland Clinic, certain toxins, such as aflatoxins, may even be fatal.

And since you can’t determine what kind of mold you’re dealing with simply by glancing at your loaf, you run the danger of suffering an allergic reaction or food poisoning if you eat it.

How Long After Eating Moldy Bread Will You Get Sick?

Timing may vary depending on the kind of mold consumed: According to the Cleveland Clinic, some effects are immediate, while others are delayed. In general, seek medical treatment if you suddenly encounter symptoms such as shortness of breath, nausea, fever, or diarrhea.

Symptoms From Eating Moldy Bread

1. Allergic Reaction

Bread mold may make you ill by causing an allergic reaction. Mold allergy symptoms, according to the Mayo Clinic, include:

  • Sneezing
  • Runny or stuffy nose
  • Cough
  • Postnasal drip
  • Itchy eyes, nose and throat
  • Watery eyes
  • Dry, scaly skin


According to the Mayo Clinic, some patients may have anaphylaxis, a severe allergic response in which their throat shuts and it becomes difficult to breathe. If this occurs to you, get medical attention right away.

2. Respiratory Distress

According to the Cleveland Clinic, eating moldy bread might cause respiratory difficulties such as shortness of breath in others.

According to the Mayo Clinic, mold allergies may also provoke asthma episodes in certain individuals. This may result in symptoms like:

  • Coughing
  • Wheezing
  • Shortness of breath
  • Chest tightness

3. Food Poisoning

According to the Cleveland Clinic, moldy bread may potentially cause food poisoning. This might be caused to mold toxins or ingesting mold-adjacent microorganisms that cause foodborne disease.

Food poisoning symptoms, according to the Mayo Clinic, include:

  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Watery or bloody diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain and cramps
  • Fever
  • Dehydration
  • Headache from dehydration


According to the Mayo Clinic, you should see a doctor if you have blood in your vomit or stool, diarrhea that lasts more than three days, a temperature higher than 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit, dehydration, or neurological symptoms such as tingling or hazy vision.

Is it OK to eat bread with just a little mold on it?

The USDA says you should refrain from eating bread with even the smallest traces of mold, because even if it isn’t visible, microscopic roots can intertwine their way throughout the food. If you see any mold, they recommend throwing out the whole bread.

How to Avoid the Effects of Eating Moldy Bread

Though you may be tempted to snip off the moldy bit and eat the remainder of the slice, avoid the temptation. Mold is more than it appears: According to the Cleveland Clinic, moist or spoiled food might contain unseen germs that can make you ill.

Instead of consuming moldy food, toss out the damaged bread and put off making toast or sandwiches until you have a new loaf on hand.


How long does it take to get food poisoning from moldy bread?

If you become sick from moldy bread, it will most likely happen within a few hours of eating it. Keep in mind that this is very unusual and usually occurs after consuming big quantities of stale bread.

Should I make myself throw up if I ate moldy bread?

You may vomit just because you found you have eaten the mold. After all, it’s rather revolting. However, you are not need to vomit after eating moldy bread. Mold, like everything else, will be digested by the stomach’s harsh and acidic environment.

Is bread mold penicillin?

It may come as a surprise, but the mold growing on your bread (or other items) might contain penicillin. However, I do not advocate eating it to cure any diseases.

Can toasting bread kill mold?

No, much the contrary. By toasting the bread, you create an atmosphere in which mold spores may spread more quickly. Don’t believe that just because you toast your moldy bread that it’s safe to eat. Toss the whole bread and start over!

What is the green mold on bread?

Aspergillus is the name given to the mold that develops on bread and turns it green.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *